Saturday, July 10, 2010

Running from God





Hebrews 12:1-2 “

Therefore we also, since we are surrounded by so great a cloud of witnesses, let us lay aside every weight, and the sin which so easily ensnares us, and let us run with endurance the race that is set before us, looking unto Jesus, the author and finisher of our faith, who for the joy that was set before Him endured the cross, despising the shame, and has sat down at the right hand of the throne of God.”


THOUGHTS FOR TODAY


Are you running from God? Many people today certainly are trying, but you can't run from an omnipresent God. Why do people run from God anyway? Why attempt the impossible? John 3:20 gives us the answer in simplest of terms... "For every one that doeth evil hateth the light, neither cometh to the light, lest his deeds should be reproved." Sin is the culprit. The reason why most people run from God is because of their love for sin.



Jonah ran from God... "Now the word of the LORD came unto Jonah the son of Amittai, saying, Arise, go to Nineveh, that great city, and cry against it; for their wickedness is come up before me. But Jonah rose up to flee unto Tarshish from the presence of the LORD, and went down to Joppa; and he found a ship going to Tarshish: so he paid the fare thereof, and went down into it, to go with them unto Tarshish from the presence of the LORD." God had instructed Jonah to go preach to the city of Nineveh, but Jonah disobeyed. The Assyrians were reputed as a brutal people, known for torture, whose warriors often sawed their victims into pieces. I could understand why Jonah would have been reluctant to go to Nineveh, the capital of the Assyrian empire. Yet, God never tells us to do something that we are unable to do. Jonah feared man more than God. Matthew 10:28 states... "And fear not them which kill the body, but are not able to kill the soul: but rather fear him which is able to destroy both soul and body in hell." We ought to fear God more than sinful, finite, men.



The Bible story we read today is a very simple and well known Bible story. God commanded Jonah to go the city of Nineveh, and speak out about sin that has taken over the city. Jonah chose to run away from this command and get on a boat headed to Tarshish. God responded to Jonah’s disobedience with a mighty storm. The sailors on the boat grew very scared, and tried to figure out what was bringing this storm upon them. Jonah knew what he had done in that running from God was wrong, and told the sailors to throw him into the sea. Jonah was swallowed up by a big fish, and was in the belly of the fish for three days and three nights. I believe Jonah’s prayer to God is one of the strongest prayers of the Bible. The fish spat Jonah out on the land. Jonah, then accepted God’s call for him to go to Nineveh.
It easy to see how Jonah ran from God. How do we run from God? I’m so busy, maybe later I will have more time to devote to God. Life is hard, maybe I need to straighten my life up a little before I really walk with God. I can’t find a church I like, do you have to go to church? I know what I am doing is wrong, but I’m young, and I have plenty of time later in life to straighten up.
Whatever the excuse or reason, we often run from God. God calls us to put Him first in our lives. Jonah ran, and paid the price. We simply need to stop running and accept and confess Christ into our lives.



poetry



I Run to you




I run to you when the night is filled with darkness
I run to you when the day is full of troubles
I run to you when life is hard to face my battles
I run to you when the storms have tried to control me
life is worth it all i run to you.

There is times when i cried myself to sleep
afraid to wake up the next day because im weak
you gave me a light inside my self to seek
my saviors hand is holding mine so tight
you never let go even if i wonder away from your feet

Your love is so strong like a thunder in the night
you gave me wings to sing on holy ground i run to you.

I run to you when mountains are to high to climb
i run to you when no body elese to face
you give me a song to my everlasting days
I run to you

Jesus i run to you

For though the mountains should depart and the hills be shaken or removed, yet My love and kindness shall not depart from you, nor shall My covenant of peace and completeness be removed, says the Lord, Who has compassion on you. Isaiah 54: 10

QUOTE

When a person is sick, the doctor may prescribe medicine. What heals the man? Is it the medicine, or his reaching out for the medicine? Christ is the only solution for your problem of sin and judgment. He is the medicine. Who else but Christ can rescue you and bring you into the forgiven family of God? He is the exclusive way to God. He is a narrow way, but a sufficient one. But how do you reach out to Christ? By repentance and faith.



Jim Elliff

Prayer:

Father in Heaven, thank you for giving us your word. We read how Jonah is a lot like us in that he ran from what You wanted him to do. Help me today to stop running from You, and to grow closer to you each day that I live. In Jesus’ name I pray, Amen.

Thought Question: In what areas in my own life do I run from God? How can I stop running from God?

No comments:

Post a Comment